OzBMXcentral
April 19, 2024, 08:03:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Please go to our new site at
www.ozbmxcentral.com
and join in. This is now our old site and it closed for read only for our members.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Willoughby and Walker in first wins

Recent Items
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Willoughby and Walker in first wins  (Read 372 times)
ozbmxcentral
BMX? Love it!
Administrator
Gold Member

« on: March 09, 2009, 09:32:48 am »

Willoughby and Walker in first wins

New Zealand’s BMX Olympian, Sarah Walker (Rotorua), claimed her first win since competing in Beijing.

At the UCI Oceania Round in Canberra Saturday, Walker claimed victory despite only two weeks of preparation.

Walker took the win in a classy field including one of Australia’s Olympians, Nicole Callisto, and national series leader, Caroline Buchanan from Canberra.

In a close finish Buchanan finished in second with Melbourne’s Ziggy Callan in third.

Walker was pleased to be back competing in BMX.

“We’ve all had a bit of an off season lately,” explained Walker.

“We’ve all started racing at different times.  I only started a couple of weeks ago. I think the others have had a couple of months really.”

After losing to Buchanan in yesterday’s round today Walker had different ideas.

“Today I was feeling a lot better,” said Walker. “I had the advantage of not trying to get out of the gate as hard with the amount of training I’ve had.

Her long break from serious competition was deserved and well timed.

“I really made the most of it because I won’t get another one for three and a half years.

I had enough time to want to come back to come back to BMX and want to come back as hard as I can. I just love racing.”

The return to racing for Walker marks the beginning of her progress towards another Olympic dream.

“There won’t be many girls there from the last Olympics. It is promising that I will be there.

The youngest rider in the elite men’s field outclassed his older BMX counterparts to win.

Nineteen year old, Matthew Willoughby from Adelaide claimed the best win of his career.

Willoughby passed early leader Billy Jolliffe and was able to hold off Beijing Olympian, Luke Madill.

Willoughby led after the third straight in a tough final. Madill secured second and Newcastle’s Billy Jolliffe snared third.

"I was feeling really good all weekend," said Willoughby. "This is my best result ever."

Another Adelaide rider, Brian Kirkham, missed on making the final but still leads the national series.

Junior winners were Joshua Callan from Melbourne and World silver medalist, Lauren Reynolds from Bunbury.

Photos / BMXaustralia.com
Report Spam   Logged

Old fart racer........doing it just for fun

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum